“Learn & Grow”- Luke 2:46-52 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
It’s impossible to live a Christian life with your Bible gathering dust.
The Bible is the blueprint for our life.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”
Scripture performs spiritual “open-heart” surgery on us.
God’s Word goes straight to the source of our issues.
Hebrews 4:12 (MSG) “God means what he says. What he says goes. His powerful Word is sharp as a surgeon’s scalpel, cutting through everything, whether doubt or defense, laying us open to listen and obey. Nothing and no one is impervious to God’s Word. We can’t get away from it—no matter what.”
God’s Word has the right to invade and permeate our lives.
God wants to work His Word in and through your life.
Colossians 3:6 “In the same way, the gospel is bearing fruit and growing throughout the whole world—just as it has been doing among you since the day you heard it and truly understood God’s grace.”
1. What are some of the major physical maturity “milestones” that we celebrate?
2. What have been the most important spiritual “milestones” in your life? Do you think these milestones are really connected with spiritual maturity?
3. Do you think your parents, grandparents and baptismal sponsors did enough to encourage you to be spiritually mature? Why or why not?
4. What can you learn from the example that even Jesus memorized scripture (and used it to resist temptation and set the direction of his life)?
5. How much scripture have you memorized? Do you think it’s enough?
6. Have you been blessed by studying the Bible in regular gatherings with other believers? How can a Bible Study group enhance your individual study?
7. What should you make of the fact that as we age we are less able to do physical things we once did but more able to do spiritual things?