“Surrender & Single-Mindedness” – Luke 4:1-13 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
We often start an endeavor with the mind-set of what we want… and then ask God to bless it.
Surrendering to God means going to God from the beginning.
Luke 17:33 “Whoever tries to keep their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life will preserve it.”
Through the process of focusing on God, what you want for yourself mirrors what God wants for you.
1 Corinthians 10:13 “And God is faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear.”
Single–mindedness brings simplicity.
Luke 4:8 “Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’ ”
1. Single-mindedness comes through dependence on Jesus. As a “single-minded in Jesus” person, how does that effect my day-to-day living?
2. Talk/think about a time in your life when prayer was your “last resort.” Why was it the “last resort?”
3. How do I keep my focus on Jesus when there are so many distractions in my life?
4. Surrendering to Jesus means to stop the continuous battle that our flesh has with God. Name two things that will help with that. How will they help?
5. Single-mindedness and surrender will lead to service from us in the way God desires. How can we know that it is of God? (Read Hebrews 11:1-12:3)