Advent: “Ready!” – Matthew 24:36-44 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
Planning is everything. (Quote from a not-so-famous relative)
We know when Christmas is coming but it still sneaks up on us.
Matthew 24:36 “But about that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.”
You do the things you want to do! (Another not-so-famous relative)
If it is important to you, it will also be a priority to get it done.
Matthew 24:43 “But understand this: If the owner of the house had known at what time of night the thief was coming, he would have kept watch and would not have let his house be broken into.”
Christmas is coming, but so is Jesus… for the second time.
Being ready for the second coming means having our faith guide our EVERY word and action.
Isaiah 2:5 “Come, descendants of Jacob, let us walk in the light of the Lord.”
1. Birthdays and holidays come at the same time every year. Why is it that they sometimes seem to pop up out of the blue?
2. When we prepare well for things, the end result is always better… sometimes better than anticipated. What do we anticipate from our preparation for Jesus return?
3. To prepare for an event that we are not able to mark on the calendar gives new perspective to our life. What would you change in your life if you knew the exact day and time that Jesus was coming for the second time?
4. How important to you is this preparation, even though you don’t know when the big day is?
5. Is this change a process – an ongoing lifestyle – or is it one moment in time? Will you make that change and be prepared now? Why or why not?