DARE TO: Expect the Best from God – Luke 11:5-13 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
When I expect the best it honors God.
When I expect the best it increases my abilities.
When I expect the best it encourages others.
“The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It’s our handle on what we can’t see.” – Hebrews 11:1 (MSG)
When I expect the best from God, I must tune into God every morning.
When I expect the best from God, I must think on God’s promises throughout the day.
“In the morning, Lord, you hear my voice;? in the morning I lay my requests before you? and wait expectantly.” – Psalm 5:3
Trust in God’s love even when things look bad.
Talk with other believers and find support.
“Do not be misled: “Bad company corrupts good character.” – 1 Corinthians 15:33
1. Recounting the story of David and Goliath, what “Goliath” are you up against right now? How will expecting the best in faith encourage you to approach that giant in a different way?
2. Four important spiritual routines are tuning in to God, thinking on God’s promises, trusting God’s love, and talking to other believers. Which of these four disciplines is easiest for you? Why? More difficult? Why?
3. What practical step will you take this week to begin strengthening yourself in that latter area of this more difficult spiritual discipline?
4. When you expect the best in faith, it honors God, increases your abilities, and encourages others. Share an experience when you expected the best from God and how your attitude encouraged another person.
5. Who do you know that is facing a “Goliath” right now? With what you have learned from this, how can you encourage them this week? Text or email them right now and tell them you are praying for them.