Sermon – John 3:1-9; 19:38-40
A Decision or A Commitment? – Am I Holding Back?
Not On Our Terms
A fan will follow Jesus only as long as it doesn’t require risk or significantchange.
WARNING! Following Jesus WILL affect every area of your life.
Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me
An Extreme Makeover
Jesus calls us, with Nicodemus, to come out of the darkness to be identified.
As a committed follower of Jesus, you are called from darkness to be light.
John 3:2 [Nicodemus] came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”
The Mark of a Follower
Like Nicodemus, we are called to publicacts of affection and devotion to God.
It is necessary for Jesus to interfere with your work, your relationships and your finances.
Daniel 6:10b “Three times a day [Daniel] got down on his knees and prayed, giving thanks to his God, just as he had done before.”
- As a Pharisee in the Jewish culture, Nicodemus was held in high esteem. Why, then, would he go to visit Jesus at night?
- Jesus doesn’t waste time on small talk. How does he engage Nicodemus from the beginning? Why might Jesus take that approach?
- From what he said to Jesus, it is fairly obvious that Nicodemus comes to Jesus as a fan. “For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him.” Put yourself in Nicodemus sandals. Is Nicodemus risking much in this encounter with Jesus?
- Fast forward to Jesus death. Nicodemus comes forward to help bury Jesus. Is he “all in” with this move?
- Tracing your own walk of faith, what part of your life is “all in” and what is not? Can you be a follower if every part of your life is NOT “all in?”
- Nicodemus stepped out of the dark when he helped bury Jesus body. Is there a correlation between your life and Nicodemus? How would you most honestly describe it? What changes are needed in your life for you to be a follower?