Sermon – Matt 28:1-20
Hebrews 11:1-3, 7-10
The Power of Hope
When the women got to the tomb, “All heaven broke loose.”
Heaven still breaks loose in 2015.
There was a violent earthquake, for an angel of the Lord came down from heaven and, going to the tomb, rolled back the stone and sat on it.
The angel told the women that Jesus would meet up with them in Galilee.
Don’t stay at your pity party. Move on with your life. There’s more waiting for you.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
Jesus raised the dead. Healed the sick. Gave the blind their sight. Made the deaf to hear. He, himself, was raised from the dead.
There is nothing, absolutely nothing, that God can’t do in your life. There is HOPE!
26 Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
1) What do you suppose Mary Magdalene and “the other Mary” expected to find at Jesus’ tomb?
2) Shortly after they arrived, all heaven broke loose. The stone was rolled back. The appearance of the angel. Picture yourself in their sandals. Talk about your initial reaction.
3) He is not her. He is resurrected. What did that mean to them? What does it mean for you?
4) In the Apostle’s Creed we confess that Jesus died, descended to hell, and rose from the dead. Why did each of those events have to take place? What does this mean for you?
5) Jesus met the disciples and others in Galilee. What did he tell them there (Matt 28:19-20)? The instructions he gives us in those verses are not an option. Why?