“Blessed to be a Blessing” – Genesis 12:1-8 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
Abram was 75 years old when God called him.
Abram heard and followed God’s promise.
Genesis 12:4 “So Abram left as the Lord had told him.”
God sees through our potential, or lack thereof.
When you leave your life behind, what is ahead is blessing.
Mark 8:35 For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.”
Through community we bless and are blessed.
We don’t know the outcome of our sharing with others; nor do we need to.
Genesis 12:2 “I will make you into a great nation, and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing.”
1. Abram was 75 and Sarai was 65 when God called. How would you react to such a vivid calling by God at whatever age you are now?
2. Do you hear such a calling now? Are you acknowledging it or ignoring it?
3. God doesn’t call the equipped. He equips the called. How does God bring blessings through us to those around us? Does it happen even in spite of ourselves?
4. As we gather in the community of the church, we do so in support of one another. Think of a time when someone has shared a struggle in life – illness, relationship, etc – and you have been blessed, by their witness, to confront a similar situation in your own life.
5. We often don’t know the result of a conversation we’ve had with someone in the midst of their own struggle. How important is it to seize those moments even though we may not see the results of what God is doing in that conversation? (Reminder: You are blessed to be a blessing)