“Truth and Independence” – John 8:31-37 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
A plan that is “of God” stands, as long as God is at the center.
Who makes the call when truth is not self–evident?
Psalm 33:12 “Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord, the people he chose for his inheritance.”
Always be reminded that the greatest liar told greatest lie about the greatest truth.
John 8:34 “Very truly I tell you, everyone who sins is a slave to sin.”
One Nation, under God, indivisible…
It’s a matter of God’s truth rather than the world’s tolerance.
Romans 12:2 “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.”
1. What are some of the “untruths” that have impacted your life?
2. Why do you think people are so vulnerable to lies and the “father of lies”?
3. How do the truths listed in the Declaration of Independence differ from modern day perceptions of truth?
4. We have learned that our freedom can be threatened by war but why are people so reluctant to see that freedom is also threatened by self-evident truth?
5. What are some ways you can stand up for truth without being unduly arrogant or rude?
6. What do you think of Martin Luther’s quote, “If I must have some failing let me rather speak the truth with too great severity that once to act like a hypocrite and conceal the truth.”