“Tripped Up by Temptation” – Luke 15:11-13 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
If you think you are exempt from temptation in any given situation, you are probably mistaken (nice language for “You are wrong.”)
Temptations don’t discriminate between gender, race, age or economic status.
“Not long after that, the younger son got together all he had, set off for a distant country and there squandered his wealth in wild living.” – Luke 15:13
We often know when the opportunities to sin will present themselves.
Much of withstanding temptation is avoiding situations in which you know you could be tempted.
“And though she spoke to Joseph day after day, he refused to go to bed with her or even be with her.” – Genesis 39:10
In all temptations, God gives us a way out if we are willing to accept it.
God always has our back!
“But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.” – 1 Corinthians 10:13b
1. The younger son in the Luke 15 story saw his inheritance as a way to a better, glamorous life. What was wrong with the “glasses” he was wearing?
2. He was tempted by what he imagined and when he tripped, ended up in a pig sty. Where does temptation often lead?
3. When we follow temptation, who is leading us? How can we overcome that urge?
4. What does it take to actually avoid a situation in which you know you will be tempted? (Try thinking in terms of past experience, learning from history)
5. How will God give us/you a way out?