“Paul’s Conversion” – Acts 9:1-19 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
Saul is “Christian Enemy # 1.”
Any enemy of Christians is a friend of Satan.
Acts 8:3 “But Saul began to destroy the church. Going from house to house, he dragged off both men and women and put them in prison.”
As Saul’s conversion commenced, his persecutions of Jesus followers had continued.
Saul met Jesus kicking and screaming. Sound familiar sometimes?
Acts 9:1 “Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord’s disciples.”
As Saul’s eyes were opened, something like scales fell from not just his eyes, but from his heart, also.
In baptism, our hearts are opened to the Holy Spirit and our sight is renewed. WOW!
Acts 9:18 “ Immediately, something like scales fell from Saul’s eyes, and he could see again. He got up and was baptized.”
1. Saul ate, slept, and breathed his attempt to destroy God’s people. How do you think he justified his actions?
2. As what we would call a “Type A” personality, Saul even approached the high priest for credentials to imprison followers of Jesus. In light of that, why do you suppose God chose someone of Saul’s disposition?
3. Jesus went to extraordinary lengths to get Saul’s attention. What does God sometimes do to get our attention…and keep it?
4. There are many sources in our world trying to destroy Christianity…the church. Name some instances in your personal life where you can see that happening. Name some in local, national or world news.
5. Do we have “scales” over our hearts that hinder our spiritual sight?
6. Miracles happen every day and the more scales we lose, the better we see them. How does a stronger relationship with God and welcoming of the Holy Spirit into our lives increase our spiritual eyesight?