Palm Sunday: Who Needs It! – Matthew 21:1-11 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
Jesus’ instructions are always clear!
We look for the “wiggle room.”
Matthew 21:2 “Go to the village ahead of you.”
Opportunities for humbleness are to be practiced.
These experiences are like riding a donkey… very humbling.
Matthew 21:5 “See, your king comes to you gentle and riding on a donkey…”
Giving a royal welcome is not reserved only for Jesus.
Recognize opportunities to be humble and welcoming… and celebrate them!
Titus 3:2 “Remind [them]… to show true humility toward all people.”
1. Palm Sunday is a time of celebration. What is the celebration for and who do the people say they are celebrating?
2. For the disciples, Palm Sunday was a “Jesus Farewell Parade,” but they didn’t know it. Do you think they may have wanted to object to Jesus riding on a donkey? Why or why not?
3. As Jesus looked out on the crowd, he may have seen faces he would see at his trial on Good Friday, less than a week later, but he never strayed from his message of being a servant. Why didn’t he simply walk into Jerusalem? (Think about the fact that he was on a donkey, a beast of burden).
4. Our opportunities to show humility are probably more frequent than we imagine. How do we receive them? Name two that you can think of.
5. Do you take advantage of the opportunities? Are they important to you? Are they welcomed by you?