“Our Relationship to Family” – John 13:34-35 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
“Love others as Jesus loved us” is a steep command.
Jesus would never ask anything of us that we are unable to do.
“I can do all this through him who gives me strength.” – Philippians 4:13
Let public behavior reflect private behavior.
Practice ‘Jesus-like’ love on family.
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.“ – John 13:34-35
Family means all people.
Let others say of you, “I want what you’ve got.”
“Do not seek revenge or bear a grudge against anyone among your people, but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord.” – Leviticus 19:18
1. It is in the Old and New Testaments. “Love God. Love your neighbor the same as you love God” (Paraphrase). How does that happen? How do we love everyone else in the same way we love ourselves?
2. How can we possibly love the way God does?
3. This kind of love begins at home. What does this mean? What does it mean to show love at home? Is that different than in public?
4. We are examples no matter where we are or what we do; especially as Christians. How would people react to the way we treat our family in private vs. in public?
5. Are there changes to be made in this part of our life? How does that happen? Read Philippians 4:13 for a hint.