Sermon – Luke 7:38-45
Simon the Pharisee – Intimacy or Information?
What am I missing?
From Information to Intimacy
A fan can be rich with factual knowledge of Jesus, but still not know Him.
A follower has an intimate, deep relationship.
Luke 7:48 Then Jesus said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.”
Go where you otherwise would not go.
You can’t get from information to intimacy without risk!
“If you’ll never dare to be at risk, you’ll never mature spiritually” (Joyce Meyer)
Luke 7:37 A woman in that town who lived a sinful life learned that Jesus was eating at the Pharisee’s house, so she came there with an alabaster jar of perfume.
God wants to know you
Jesus wants your undivided intimacy. He wants to know you.
The only way for that to happen is by complete self-denial.
Luke 9:23 Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me
- Simon invited Jesus to his home. What forms of social etiquette did he neglect to follow?
- Put yourself in the woman’s sandals. What do you think it took for her to enter Simon’s home, much less wash, kiss, and anoint Jesus feet?
- Have you ever cried so much that you could have washed someone’s hands…even your own? What caused those tears?
- The woman, no doubt, had heard Jesus preach and made a commitment to follow Him before entering the house. Where would you say her level of commitment was?
- Through daily reading of our Bible and prayer we have the opportunity to strengthen our intimate relationship with Jesus. What specific steps are you going to take to strengthen your own relationship with Jesus? (Avoid using the word “try.”)
- Do you know OF Jesus or do you really know Jesus intimately?