“Worship & Pray” – Luke 4:14-21 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
As He always did, Jesus went to synagogue on the Sabbath.
Worship is a habit.
Luke 4:16 – He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom.
Prayer was also a habit of Jesus.
His prayer in Gethsemane shows us the height of Jesus humanity in his agony.
Matthew 26:38 – Then he said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death.”
Worship and prayer will “lead us not into temptation.”
Worship and prayer lead us into a stronger relationship with Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 – Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1. Everything Jesus does sets an example for us, His followers. How is that true as we see Jesus going to synagogue?
2. Jesus was usually regarded as the “guest speaker.” How is this shown to be true in Nazareth? (Luke 4:16). How did this show respect for Jesus?
3. Going to synagogue (Luke 4:16) and praying (Matthew 26:36) showed Jesus leading, serving, and being strengthened. What part do each of these play in your life?
4. Through prayer we can be strengthened. How can this happen? What must we include in our life for this to happen?
5. The combination of worship and prayer provide a kind of steadiness in our life. Are we guaranteed a safe life if we practice these? What does God promise us?