“Blessed are the merciful; for they will be shown mercy.” – Matthew 5:7 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
God’s mercy is all about unfairness… Good thing for us!
If God treated us fairly every time we worshiped our idols, we’d be sunk.
“Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate, slow to anger and abounding in love.” – Joel 2:13
When human beings show mercy, we tend to think of it as a weakness.
God’s mercy is all about forgiveness.
“He said to his men, “The Lord forbid that I should do such a thing to my master, the Lord’s anointed, or lay my hand on him; for he is the anointed of the Lord.” – 1 Samuel 24:6
That is who God is . . . abounding in steadfast love. We are closest to God when we forgive.
“Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.” – Matthew 18:21-22
1. How have you experienced lavish or unexpected forgiveness? How did that make you feel?
2. How does Jesus answer about forgiveness challenge our attitudes and actions regarding forgiveness? (See Matthew 18:21-22)
3. Do we forgive so God will forgive us or does God forgive us so that we will have a forgiving attitude?
4. Is God’s forgiveness limited or unlimited? Conditional or unconditional?
5. How can we forgive without encouraging irresponsible behavior?
6. What do you think this Beatitude is teaching us about forgiveness, health and wholeness