“I Meant It For Good” – Genesis 50:15-21 – Pastor Bruce Lerum
Joseph was Jacob’s favorite son by his favorite wife, Rachel.
Being followers of Jesus does not make us any more special than anyone else.
Genesis 37:19 “Here comes that dreamer!” they said to each other.
Despite his situation, Joseph gave his entire being to God and “The Lord was with Joseph.”
God places us in situations where we have opportunity to rise above our circumstances.
Genesis 39:23 “The Lord was with Joseph and gave him success in whatever he did.”
With Jacob’s death comes a changed family culture.
And God said, “I meant it for good.”
Genesis 50:20 “You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good to accomplish what is now being done, the saving of many lives.”
1. Like Joseph’s brothers, we sometimes see ourselves as better than others. Where does that feeling come from? How do we chase that feeling from within us?
2. Think of an example of Jesus caring for or loving those who were not like Himself. How do we move our heart to follow Jesus example?
3. Joseph could have been bitter because of the circumstances he faced in Egypt. What did he do to rise above those circumstances and the temptation to see himself as a victim?
4. Joseph seemed always to be an example of what it means to be faithful to God. What might we learn from the way he faced difficult circumstances in his life? What change would that require in you, individually?
5. Every day, things happen to us personally, to others locally, and to still others globally. Think of a time or times when you saw God’s hand in creating good out of the hand of an evil act. How did God show Himself and what impact did it have on you?